Your Case Deserves Immediate Attention - Call Hubbs Law Today
Unlawful use of a communications facility is a federal crime that is usually attached to federal drug crimes involving trafficking or selling drugs. Under federal law, a “communication facility” refers to all mail, telephone, wire, radio, and computer-based communications. Using a “communication facility” becomes a crime when it is used to commit a controlled substance violation under federal law.
Examples of this crime could include a defendant who texts another individual how much money it costs to buy drugs, a defendant who e-mails another individual the location to buy drugs, or a defendant who sends another individual drugs through the mail.
An important aspect of the federal charge of unlawful use of a communications facility is that the federal controlled substance violation does not actually need to be completed for the crime to occur. A defendant can be charged simply by using the “communication facility” with the intent to commit the crime.
Turn to Hubbs Law Firm for Trusted Defense
If you were arrested for a federal drug crime, including unlawful use of a communications facility, in Miami or throughout Miami-Dade County or the surrounding areas, it is important you contact a law firm with substantial criminal law experience. Hubbs Law Firm’s attorneys, E.J. and Erika Hubbs, have handled thousands of drug crimes in their career. They are former prosecutors who are dedicated to doing everything possible to help prepare a defense to your charge. In addition, E.J. Hubbs is Board Certified in Criminal Trial Law by the Florida Bar, an honor held by less than 1% of the attorneys in the state of Florida.
Hubbs Law Firm handles all types of federal drug crimes, including unlawful use of a communications facility, in Miami, FL and throughout Miami-Dade County, including Hialeah, North Miami, Miami Beach, South Miami, Kendall, Palmetto Bay, Cutler Bay, Redlands, Leisure City, and anywhere else in the area.
Elements of Unlawful Use of a Communications Facility
To prove the crime of unlawful use of a communications facility, the U.S. government is required to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant intentionally used a “communications facility” while committing or attempting to commit a crime. Communication facility refers to all mail, wire, telephone, radio, and computer-based communication systems.
Penalties for Elements of Unlawful Use of a Communications Facility
The standard maximum penalty for unlawful use of a communications facility is four years. However, if the defendant has previously been convicted of a controlled substance violation, the maximum penalty is eight years.
Contact Hubbs Law Firm for a Free Consultation
If you were federally charged with unlawful use of a communications facility, you need quality legal representation immediately. During a free consultation, our attorneys can discuss the maximum and minimum penalties to your charge, possible legal defenses, and any potential immigration consequences if you are not a United States citizen.
Our Miami drug crime lawyers defend clients charged with all types of federal drug crimes in Miami and throughout the state of Florida.
- District Court for the Southern District of Florida – Find information for every court location in the Southern District of Florida.
- Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) – The FBI is the federal law enforcement agency in charge of enforcing numerous federal crimes including terrorism, counterintelligence, cybercrime, corruption, civil rights violations, white collar crime, organized crime, violent crime, and more.
- United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) – The DEA is the federal law enforcement agency in charge of investigating federal drug cases in the United States.
- United States Marshalls – The United States Marshalls are the federal agency in charge of enforcing orders of federal courts in the United States. This includes providing security in the courtroom and executing fugitive arrest warrants.
- Bureau of Justice Statistics – Find information on statistics for all types of crimes, including arrests and convictions for unlawful use of a communications facility.
Attorneys E.J. & Erika Hubbs
As professional Miami criminal defense attorneys, we take every case personally give every client the deliberate care it deserves. Our clients become part of our family and we fight relentlessly for their rights. Read more about us to find out how we can help you.
E.J is not only an attorney he's the people attorneyDre Dre
I do not have enough praise for Erika and Eric.Zoe Gorospe
I would highly recommend him to anyone who needs a criminal/immigration attorney.Anthony Hermans